More info on the HD (720c)

Sean Roe jackryan@azbiz.net
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:31:33 -0700

Woo Hoo!!!!  I found it from IBM's 900 service number!

THe Hard Drive is an MCA based 160 Meg HD with the following info:

1575 Cylinders
4 Heads
72 Tracks
48 Sectors per track

Okay now I need to know what to do with the info....It tried to enter at the boot prompt the following info:

boot:  ramdisk  hd=1575,4,48

and I get no such image press [tab] to see list.
What am I doing wrong?

Sean

Sean Roe
jackryan@azbiz.net
Head Cook and Bottlewasher: http://www.azbiz.net
Sonoran Express Pilot #SOX003

Original message from: Rusty Carruth
_/> Original message from: "Bob George"
_/> _/"Sean Roe" <jackryan@azbiz.net> wrote:
_/> _/
_/> _/
_/> _/> The Drive in it appears to be a Western Digital 160 MB (Woo Hoo!)
_/> _/> It Carries the model # WD-W2160D
_/> _/>
_/> _/> I am still trying to find the gemetry for this drive.  If anybody knows it
_/> _/or wher I can find it please let me know.
_/> _/
_/
_/... western digital site...
_/
_/> _/for that model and found nothing that was an exact match, although they
_/> _/certainly seem to have everything going back to the 40MB RLL drives listed!
_/
_/Hmm.  How close were the matches you found?  If its 'just' a suffix sometimes
_/you can get close...  But of course, some mfgrs use the suffix to tell you
_/if its SCSI, IDE, or what, so you need to be careful here (and I forget if
_/WD does).   Have you tried calling them on the phone?  The've been really
_/good to me that way...   (i had a service issue - drive was 1 month out
_/of warranty!  - AND THEY COVERED IT under warranty!  Gotta like 'em)
_/
_/Have you checked out the corpsys.com site?  They used to have drive
_/info there.  (I bought their 'hard drive bible' book and have found
_/it pretty useful - but I'm not sure I suggest buying it - it has a
_/lot of holes.  I'll try to remember to go look in it when
_/I get home for your drive.)
_/
_/>
_/> Well from what I have gathered it is a 2.5 drive.  It is part of a Thinkpad Laptop that is P/S2 based.
_/> I think that makes the drive ESDI but I am not sure.
_/
_/hmm.  I thought PS/2 ran IDE and RLL and such like also?
_/
_/rusty
_/