Web Host Needed

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:32:22 -0700

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 01:43:15PM -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:
> Are there any "web-site hotels" out there.  You know, you give them a box
> ready to go in a rack, and they hook it up to a high capacity wire.  (I'm
> thinking a LAN that has a switch on a SONET ring or such. Uninterruptible
> Power comes with your rent and bandwidth-bill.)

Sure, just about all large ISPs will do this, and since it's a nice business
model for a small business, there are lots of people who specialize in that
too.  It's called colocation.  wiredglobal.net does it at reasonable cost...
see the web page.  Really high-traffic sites like yahoo like to do this at
multiple places around the globe, at the major exchanges where all the
backbones are tied together.  For that kind of service, you can talk to
global crossing/frontier/whatever they are called today.  homebid.com is
located in California at a place called Exodus, for this reason (it's near
MAE-West).

--
  _______                                     http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud
 (_  | |_)  ecloud@bigfoot.com   finger rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com