[PLUG-Devel] Quick note - looks like November 1st meeting is canceled

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:13:18 MST 2012

Ed, I would like to play along with this.  Mostly as an observer but this
is the first thing that has drawn my interest.  I'm afraid I might not be
much help though.  I see it as a great learning opportunity as I have
probably never done more than 30-40 lines of python.

Larry Thiel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Ed <plug at 0x1b.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Since this isn't working, I would like to propose the PLUG Dev group
> actually do development - a project - this project   But first some
> ground rules:
>
> 1) PLUGdev develops free software - GPL3 if possible
> 2) PLUGdev develops for Linux based systems
> 3) PLUGdev uses free stuff - not just the dogfood thing, but also
> that's all we can afford
> 4) PLUGdev upstreams - ie release is part of development - no tarballs
> in the wind
>
> Project #1 name TBD: Cheese plugin something QR something something
>
> Develop a plugin for Cheese the Gnome Video application
> (http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/) that reads QR codes and routes the
> output via DBus to the appropriate and/or designated apps or XDG
> designated file location.
>
> you know - like all those smart phones
>
> desktop environment: Gnome3
> development language: Python
> repository location: Github
> Base Application: Gnome Cheese 3.6.0 released Tue, 25 Sep 2012
> 07:18:50 +0100 GPL2
> Key Library: ZBar  http://zbar.sourceforge.net/   LGPL2.1
> etc
> etc
>
> As a first development effort I think this isn't too big, but has a
> lot of interesting pieces and could be useful - and if accepted back
> into Cheese, it could be on most every Gnome3 desktop ...
>
> So - I'll set up a Github project, if you want to participate get a
> Github ID and at the December meeting we can add comiters and launch
> the project.
>
> so what do you think? want to play?
> Ed

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.