[PLUG-Devel] lightweight web servers

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Tue Sep 8 11:28:07 MST 2009

Eric Shubert wrote:
> I see from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_servers that
> there is quite a selection. Does anyone have a recommendation for a one
> that is production grade and would simply run configuration pages (php,
> perhaps ruby), like in an embedded appliance?

I have used lighttpd to handle huge amounts of traffic for brief periods
of time and found it to be decent.  I am a little concerned that 1.5 has
been in development for about 3 years now.  Similarly cool is nginx
which is pretty active and fairly widely adopted.  I would probably look
at nginx if I were to do what you are suggesting.  I think they both
need (or recommend) fastcgi to support php though, which makes things
slightly messier.

Austin