[PLUG-Devel] New Verari System 1U Web/Mail Server - ASSISTANCE PLEASE

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun May 31 16:13:36 MST 2009

I have configured a Verari Systems Server with Linux 2.6.24-generic SMP
Linux and setup Drupal 6.12.

When we started this project the current Drupal system was limited because
none ever expanded allowable memory in php.ini, until I determined why they
were unable to get more modules working.

So, I fixed php.ini to be able to load a configure a great many modules in
the current Drupal.
I proposed the new Drupal upgrade which was accepted as a project to be
built up running in tandem with the old plug.phoenix.az.us on a nice shiny
new DR server (Verari 1U).  After others (with limited bandwidth) met with
issues (and project deliverable lag) after BIOS drive recognition (no
jumpers were configured for MASTER/SLAVE on either drive) failures, I
inherited the hardware build test/laying on the stable SERVER OS and
hardening.  [She's a real beauty!]

In the mean time since the existing Drupal site could now run a lot of
expanded modules (with php.ini memory expanded), everyone started to build
up the existing site (looks spiffy with the maps etc!).

But now I am running into some difficulty backing up and importing the
complete site as is to import into the new Drupal (upgraded 4.x --> 6.x
compatibility).

I have cloned the database tables, and can import selectively, so I believe
we need to evaluate the project based on what we want to move over, how we
want to change our features (for instance, do we really want 40 feet of Job
announcements on the front page when this could be a summary that can be
expanded or do we want to allow role based signups for additional areas,
like HackFest, Developers, or Installfests with limited file sharing, for
presentations etc).

I am fairly loaded up with HackFest relocation, working IT  contract, and
various other gigs and personal committments, so I am hoping that  we will
have another volunteer who really knows Drupal, or a good plan, after a
brainstorming session with Hans.

NOTE:

Current Drupal is an UPDATED installation that does not completely work with
all 5.x modules now.
We need to ensure we have a secure installation and many new features are
available in Drupal 6 (OpenID).
Mailman is handled throught the Drupal Mailman plugin - so adding additional
listserv for a PLUG-opensource-politics is easy.
[Adding a directory for the mail archives is an add on which is very easy.

So basically we need someone to work in Drupal administrator to make the new
site match, backing up as we go, and while I can be involved, I can no
longer do it all with my current schedule.

Volunteers?

Requirements and all planning must be funnelled through Hans, as always,
which should optimally happen at the next WestSide Stammtiche on Broadway?

Suggestions?

--
(503)754-4452
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:LisaKachold