[PLUG-Devel] HackFest June 13th at The Foundation for Blind Children!

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Jun 10 03:51:29 MST 2009

 Phoenix Linux Users Group Security Test Teamers will be meeting (after
majority agreed to a complete lab relocation from UAT to the School for
Blind Children) on the second Saturday of each month, starting at Noon for
HackFesting.

Since we had a great many issues with UAT (having our systems targeted,
having difficulty with their network too exclusive to test, access to the
guest password/login to use desktops on Saturday, having their security
guards turn people away or direct them to the wrong rooms before turning
them away) we are especially grateful to have new lab facilities donated
from the Foundation for Blind Children, a private charter school in Phoenix.

The Hackfest is a 3 hour security lab from Noon to 15:00 on the second
Saturday of every month. Come prepared to learn about a security tool and
then start using it. Ethical and legal, as well as liability aspects of
testing are covered as we investigate the strange world of computer
insecurity from our powerful Penguin perspectives.

Don't learn to hack; hack to learn.

Network and other facilities generously provided by the Foundation for Blind
Children.
http://www.seeitourway.org/contactUs.html

*New Location*: The Foundation for Blind Children<http://www.seeitourway.org/>,
1235 East Harmont
Dr<http://www.google.com/maps?q=1235+E+Harmont+Dr,+Phoenix,+AZ>near
Northern in Phoenix.
Lab Network Security Agenda (new facilities):

I hope you will consider joining us on the 13th of June as we setup our new
lab, burn and configure a library of Security distros, evaluate security
protection of our festers, and isolate our network(s)  for protection for
the the school.

Educational Agenda:

We will also go over Capture the Flags contests (why where when how) --
submitting your group as a tag team, Defcon's BlackHat conference, and the
top CERT announced security issues from an enlightened Linux point of view.

Distro Burns:

We can always use additional CD/DVD burner machines so bring your
laptops/notebooks.
We will also be burning security distros already torrented and stored on a
terrabyte USB drive, so bring your blank media should you want a nice CRC
checksum'd bootable pendrive or CD/DVD without the 2 day download wait!

Similar to the InstallFest open lab format, we welcome all new information.
  Submission of open source programs or project suggestions for lab analysis
(ahem!), new materials, process questionsd, partial to complete solutions
and solutions that failed to work, as well as anectdotes and/or concerns you
might bring as we openly challenge formal educational methods, assisting
each other, talking and listening at the same time, in classic  full duplex
Penguin style.