[PLUG-Devel] ANN: PLUG Devel Meeting, Thursday, November 1st

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Oct 26 15:17:54 MST 2007

Don't forget, next Thursday is the first day of the month!

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, November 1st, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
(Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4415+E.+Cotton+Center+Blvd.+Phoenix+AZ+85040&ie=UTF8&ll=33.402803,-111.986496&spn=0.008473,0.015535&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1)

The building in question is actually south east of the green arrow
marker.  It is the mostly square building directly south of the traffic
circle in the road.

Topic: The "White Box Design Style," presented by Walter Mack

Walter provided the following summary information:

"The talk will be about a methodical approach to the design of event
based software programs. It is in large part based on the white box
design style, outlined in the book "Cleanroom Software Engineering." I
have found this method to be the most effective one for event-based
programming - both for design and development, and also for software
maintenance.
I will attempt to cover the following points:
* Give an overview of the basic philosophy behind the approach,
including aspects that enable it to be so powerful
* Compare the approach to other approaches that I'm familiar with
* Provide a walk through of a simple example (probably a transformer
class that produces records from a csv-encoded input stream).

"I have a BS EE in telecommunications technology from the Fachhochschule
Ulm, Germany.
I spent the early part of my career at Intel as a design engineer for
integrated digital circuits. In the 1990s I changed into software
development, initially concentrating on photographic image processing
algorithms and 3D model reconstruction from stereoscopic photographs. I
established Component Software, Inc. in 1999 to provide my software
engineering talent to local clients, specializing in embedded systems
software development and the deployment of large distributed systems."

Wireless and wired Internet access are available.

We have a candy machine and soda machines that will take your money for
refreshment.  You are welcome to bring your own food.  No alcohol please.