[PLUG-Devel] Google Phoenix Update

Michael R. Crusoe mrc at google.com
Tue Oct 31 10:12:24 MST 2006

Howdy all,

I was catching up on my PLUG mail the other day and I realized that I
haven't seen y'all in a while. Yep, working at Google has kept me
pretty busy -- but I can't complain: this is an exciting place!

I thought you all might want to hear an update on the goings here at
the Google Phoenix office. We have fully moved into our spiffy new
Tempe digs, co-located with ASU. As a former student and former
employee of ASU living in Tempe, this makes my commute very
convenient! I'm especially grateful that we got our showers installed
-- that's one less excuse not to bike to work (my other reason to bike
to work? Our self-powered commuter reward program that recognizes
employees for walking, biking, running, or 'blading in to work with a
$1,000 donation to a non-profit of their choice).

You may have seen some press about our official grand opening. I'm so
proud of this office! We've grown so much from our temporary space in
Phoenix to our new spacious digs in Tempe. We recently had a open
house for everyone else in our building: it was great to see the
reactions to the transformation our architect and contractors made!

The only problem with this office? It isn't full yet! To help do that
we've posted a slew of job openings on our site:
http://www.google.com/jobs/phx

Here are some Linux-oriented highlights:

Software Engineer
Information / Network / Systems Security Engineer
Unix System and Applications Administrator / Corporate Reliability Engineer
Linux Systems Administrator
Database Administrator
Tech Writer
IT Field Technician

And for all you managerial types:

Internal Systems Engineering Manager
Technical Project Manager

Feel free to mail me with your questions and I'll do my best to answer
them. I'm also available to review your resume and to submit it to our
recruiters.

So what's next for us? Keep a lookout for Googlers around town: Tom
Limoncelli (who co-wrote the bestselling book on system
administration) and local telecom expert Stacy Bowdish (both Googlers)
will be speaking at next month's Phoenix Sysadm Days:
<http://lopsa.org/SysAdminDays-Phoenix> and those at the desert code
camp this last weekend may have seen Matt Alexander's BASH scripting
class or Maulik Shah's & June Tate-Gans's Google Maps class.

See you all around (I'll be at the devel meeting this Thursday)

--
Michael R. Crusoe
Corporate Reliability Engineer