Programming Mentors?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Aug 19 10:34:07 MST 2005

Vaughn Treude said:
> Scott,
> I think a lot of people in the group have been doing this informally.  I
> try to help people when I can (though I've been rather swamped lately!)
> I've got a decade of C++ and two decades of C under my belt, so I guess
> I'd qualify as an experienced software guy.  I think this is part of the
> purpose of the monthly developer meetings (I haven't been able to attend
> for a while- they're still having them, I hope.)  It's also true that
> even C/C++ gurus like myself could benefit from the experience of other
> developers in the group.  I've got very little experience in PHP and
> Java, none in Python, and I definitely need to brush up on my SQL.

Yes, we are still having the Devel Meetings.  First Thursday of the month.
 Lately the "presentations" have been a bit impromptu due to neglect on my
part but I always find them interesting.  There are some smart people in
the group.

Scott, if you are learning or know Java you should look at participating
in the group's Event Planning Project.  So far the project has produced
lots of interesting discussion and a list of tasks but it is struggling to
find actual developers.  Go to the project website to learn more:
http://epp.0x1b.org/  Login with username 'plug-guest' and password
'plug-guest' to read all about it.

In any case, you are welcome to fully participate in this list and come to
the meetings.