Taking a Project Public

Paul Dickson plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Sep 9 09:37:02 2004

For the past month, I have been writing a program to read E-mail that's
very similar to Sylpheed, except writing in Python.  The slowest part has
been learning ins and outs of PyGTK.  Now that I may have a job soon, I'd
like to make the project a public and GPL'd.  I'd appreciate tips on the
best way to do this.

I thought about Sourceforge (sf.net), but they use CVS and their
mailinglist tend to be very spammy.  I'd like to use subversion instead,
but I've had very little experience with it or CVS.

I also need a name.  I'm currently using pymail, but a google search
turned several other uses of that name (one was an alternate version of
the Unix mail program written in python, and the sending part at that).
Name suggestions are welcome.

The program can read the folder structure and messages (two TreeViews),
but does not yet display messages or allow message composing.  I started
this project because the Python Standard Library supports most of the
stuff that Sylpheed has to code itself.

A screen view of pymail is at:
    http://www.cybertrails.com/~dickson/pymail.py

Thanks in advnace for any help.

	-Paul

FYI - Sylpheed and Pymail use the MH mailbox format, which is one message
per file, a folder is a directory of message files.