Ann: Devel Meeting Tomorrow, Nov 4th

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Nov 3 20:39:02 2004

PLUG Devel Meeting is on Thursday, November 4th.

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, October 7, 2004 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Topic: Code Analysis Tools and Linux VMM

As some of you may remember from some months ago, I was beginning a study o=
f=20
the Linux Virtual Memory Manager to answer a question: How often does the=20
swap file get written?  Well, the need for that study faded as did my=20
priority to spend time on it.

Never the less, in the process I was able to become familiar with the book,=
=20
"Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager" by Mel Gorman=20
(http://www.phptr.com/title/0131453483).  It is really a rather impressive=
=20
document that provides discussion just higher than comments in the actual=20
kernel source code.  Kernel version 2.4.22, actually.  The book comes with =
a=20
CD with it's own built-in web server and source browsing tools including th=
e=20
CodeViz call graph generator.

I am no expert on the Linux VMM or even a significant portion of this book.=
 =20
But I thought it would b interesting to show what I found in attempting to=
=20
answer my original question and then explore this book further.  Maybe we c=
an=20
then try some other code analysis tools that would add to your development=
=20
tool box.

The meeting will be held at Adtron. =A0Wired internet access available if t=
he=20
group brings a hub or switch. =A0(I'll bring that old IBM notebook with=20
Slakware 8 to use as a DHCP server if one of the group wants to configure=20
it.)  Wireless access is available too.

See the Meeting FAQ on the website for full directions:

http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=3Dmodload&name=3DFAQ&file=3Dindex&=
myfaq=3Dyes&id_cat=3D3&categories=3DPLUG+Meetings&parent_id=3D0#27

Be carefull with the MapQuest.com map, linked below and in the FAQ. =A0It s=
hows=20
the location star in the wrong place.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=3DUS&countryid=3DUS&addtohisto=
ry=3D&searchtype=3Daddress&cat=3D&address=3D4415%20E%20Cotton%20Center%20Bl=
vd&city=3DPhoenix&state=3DAZ&zipcode=3D85040%2d8854&search=3D%20%20Search%2=
0%20&searchtab=3Daddress

The building is actually more east and south of the star shown. =A0Just tur=
n in=20
the driveway on the south side of the traffic circle with the big fountain=
=20
and you'll see the building on the right. =A0The front door is on the east =
side=20
of the building, south of the big Adtron logo up high on the east wall.

Alan