OT: Flash memory endurance (Was: Re: CVs Repository on a USB Stick)

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Mar 9 22:30:02 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 08:22 am, Alan Dayley wrote:
> This is a common misconception based on historical realities.  In other
> words, write cycle counts in the 10,000s used to be the norm for flash
> media.  This has not been the case for several years.  Almost any flash
> media you purchase presently will have write cycle counts of at least
> 100,000 with several manufacturers now quoting 300,000 or more.
>
> From personal experience I can say that a couple of manufactures are
> regularly surpassing write cycles into the millions, though none are
> quoting that type of endurance.
>
> That said, it is true that flash media does wear out over time.  It will
> just take a much longer time for modern flash than most people think.
> YMMV because some brands out there are junk.

An article on flash memory endurance and testing was written by Adtron's CTO
and published in the January issue of COTS Journal.  It just went online.
Those that are interested in more information on the issue can read the
article here:

http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/pdfs/2004/01/cots01_hardassets3.pdf

Alan