Stupid Mandrake

Phil Mattison plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat Jun 12 17:12:02 2004

A while ago I installed Mandrake 9.2 on a machine I use for PHP development.
I was very impressed with how smoothly the installation went, and how
polished the user interface was (I'm using KDE, but Gnome looks pretty good
as well). "Wow," I thought, "maybe Linux does have a chance on the consumer
desktop." Recently I got a Netgear print server to share a couple of
printers among 4 desktop systems. Setup on the Windows machines was *very*
simple, and worked without a hitch. I figured it might be nice to be able to
print from the Mandrake box as well, so I started up the provided printer
configuration wizard. It wanted a root password. Ok. It wanted the
installation CD. Ok. It searched my network, found a printer, asked for some
basic info, and offered to print a test page. It didn't work, but by then I
decided I had spent enough time on it, and stopped. Imagine my surprise when
I discovered that about half the applications on the startup menu had
disapeared, including Kdevelop, all the Drake config tools, and the Konsole
app. Who knows how much time I'll have to waste now restoring everything
that was screwed up. Maybe days. What kind of cheese-butt software is this?
Displace Windows? Yeah, right.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.