Online banking is restricting Linux Users!

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Dec 16 11:30:05 2004

Rob Wehrli said:
> I'm tired of banks dictating what software we must use in order to
> access our account information.  Currently, most banks dictate that we
> use Windows/Mac and one of IE or Netscape on those systems in order to
> be in compliance with online banking policies.  Others simply restrict
> access based on the browser and operating system online banking
> customers choose to use.

I agree.

> Try this URL from your Linux box:
> https://online.wellsfargo.com:443/signon
>
> Let me know if you get a warning telling you that your browser is
> unacceptable to them.

I'll try this evening when I get home.

> I'd like everyone to consider calling, writing, emailing their
> respective bank to ensure that they will support Linux users and not
> discriminate against us.  The fools at Wells Fargo had the nerve to tell
> me that they couldn't ensure security without requiring IE on Windows or
> Mac or Netscape on either of those platforms.

Quite foolish.  It is a support and coding issue on their side, not a
security issue on the client side.  It is an excuse for lazy coders.

> I don't want to hear about hacks of the User-Agent request header to
> spoof the banks into thinking that the browser is acceptable to them.
> It will accomplish nothing and likely be in contravention of their
> established policies.  I'm looking to CHANGE online banking policies to
> be more accepting of Linux as a viable "3rd choice" the way it is the
> first choice for many of us.

I don't hack my user-agent specifically so web masters and their
businesses see that I am using Linux.  I want them to know I am there with
a different OS.

> I mean, who needs their bank telling them what software to run?  What do
> banks know about my software needs?
>
> It is time to activate and tell your bank your choice for software for
> online banking.  Also, if you don't trust Microsoft, tell them that,
> too! What could my bank possibly know about security on my home PC?  Has
> any of them ever heard that Microsoft runs its own SPYWARE on WinTel
> boxes?
>
> What's worse is that I've consulted for Wells Fargo and they have UNIX
> systems on the front end and in middleware and mainframes on the
> backend.
>
> WWW Site: 		www.wellsfargo.com
> Port: 			80
> Server Software:	Sun-ONE-Web-Server/6.1
>
> WWW Site: 		www.wellsfargo.com
> Port: 			443
> Server Software: 	This Web Server Does Not Disclose Identity
>

> ...who are they to be telling me that I CAN'T RUN UNIX?  Flaming
> hypocrites!  If UNIX is robust and secure for them, why can't I run it
> for the same reasons?  It ain't right!

It is not.

This issue is interesting to me because I am a Wells Fargo customer and
use Mozilla on Linux to do my online banking.  I have not had a problem
with it.  But then, I also have not gone straight to the URL you quoted in
the test request above.  I'll try it later and report back.

Alan