uClinux project details? (Was: RE: Next Developers Meeting)

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun Jan 19 13:02:02 2003

Alan,

It is probably better to learn just the H8S-2674R for now... :)  There are
probably 30-40 (maybe more?) different H8Ses, and there are about a billion
subtle differences among them...besides, we have 2674R-based HW :) ...and
the rest of the H8Ses, while different in a variety of ways, are not really
all THAT different.  Once you know one or two of them, the rest are easy!
However, note that among the H8Ses, the 2674R is something of a "distant
relative" in that it has an on-board SDRAM controller and accesses external
memory in a single cycle compared to double cycle accesses for most of its
H8S cousins.  This is another reason why we selected this processor for
uClinux.  The speed is really fast compared to so many other embedded micros
AND because it can use relatively cheap and fast PC-133 SDRAM rather than
expensive SRAMs.  Imagine the board cost of 8MBytes of SDRAM compared to the
board cost of 8MBytes of SRAM...not to mention the related real estate and
power costs.

Take Care.

Rob!