attempted printing: error hostname bad

Alex Vrenios plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun Jan 12 19:57:02 2003

Hi,

Here's a look at my /etc/hosts file:

10.0.0.1	omission.chaos.org	omission
10.0.0.2	greed,chaos.org		greed
10.0.0.3	lust.chaos.org		lust
10.0.0.4	anger.chaos.org		anger
10.0.0.5	pride.chaos.org		pride
10.0.0.6	gluttony.chaos.org	gluttony
10.0.0.7	envy.chaos.org		envy
10.0.0.8	sloth.chaos.org		sloth

Note the IP address is followed by (white space then) the host name which
includes the domain name, then the host name alone. The first is required.
Anything after that on the line entry is an alias of the full name.

Note that if I am on omission, and I issue a ping to pride I get

   omission> ping pride
   PING pride.chaos.org (10.0.0.5): 56 data bytes
   64 bytes from 10.0.0.5: icmp_seq 0 ttl 64 time=1.2 ms
     . . . (and similar)

Note also that the each of my machines has the SAME /etc/hosts file (I
created  these text files as root) and that my network is CLOSED, meaning
there is no external access.

Good luck!

Alex

P.S. I don't have a printer set, so I can't help you with the "lp" command.
When you reference a machine name that the OS doesn't recognize, it is
probably trying to access some well known name resolution server, hence the
whatever.com message.