Shadow password file

Austin Godber plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Dec 3 14:11:02 2003

> BTW, if this machine wasn't safe inside my house I'd say the "reboot to
> single user mode" sounds like a real security risk.  I'm sure there must be
> ways to lock that down, I'd be interested to see how they do it.

Yes, since the bootloader is responsible for booting you into that
single user mode ... they typically have a way of preventing that ...
but as you have shown ... with physical access and a knoppix disk it
doesn't matter how the OS on the machine is configured.

Physical security is the first assumption of any computer security I
should think.

Austin