Shadow password file

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Dec 3 11:57:02 2003

> Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have a machine on which I have lost the root password.  (Doh!)  I was
> > looking for a workaround to reinstallation.  I was thinking I could boot
> > it with Knoppix and replace the shadow password file.  As a test, I
> > looked at the shadow password files on two different machines that
> > happend to be the same distro and have the same root password.  The
> > encrypted entries for the root password were different!  I can understand
> > this would be a security feature, but does anybody know of a wayI could
> > get my workaround scheme to work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vaughn
>
> Can't you just reboot into single user mode where you will be dumped
> straight into a root shell ... where you can just passwd?

Good point.  This one was a Mandrake system with a graphical login with three
fixed choices (linux, failsafe, floppy), so I couldn't do anything there -
though I'm sure that there must be a key I can press to dump it into text
login.  In any case, rebooting in Knoppix and diddling the shadow file did
the trick.

BTW, if this machine wasn't safe inside my house I'd say the "reboot to
single user mode" sounds like a real security risk.  I'm sure there must be
ways to lock that down, I'd be interested to see how they do it.

Vaughn