mp3 sharing prog and midi conversion

Brian Cluff plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Nov 25 23:37:02 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 22:57, jaredm wrote:
> I had two questions. I can't seem to find a linux equivalent to kazaa or
> morphues. Do you guys know what to look for?

There's not a lot of software that has spywhere in it in the linux
world, like morphues and kazaa do.  but go to freshmeat.net and search
on gnutella, that should puke out quite a few clients.  Also look into a
program called "lopster" it's absolutly excellent.

> Another thing I can't seem to find is a program that can convert midi
> files to mp3s. Are there any programs for this?

I'm not sure about actual conversion programs, but if you are using esd
or artsd for sound daemond, then you can use esdcat or artscat and
whatever you play can be saved to a file and then converted with you
favorite MP3 compressor.  I believe that xmms can be made to play midi
as well, and in it's case it's only a matter of selecting the file
output and telling it where to save.

Brian Cluff