Arguments against Hungarian Notation

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed May 8 11:40:02 2002

Carl Parrish wrote:

> is here http://www.javaranch.com/style.jsp#intro. HN really does
> violates OO abstraction, because in a truelly OO language (wich admittly
> Java is not). a varible name should be able to hold *any* type of
> object. (I know I'm not going into enough details on that right now I

A truly OO language?  Why isn't C++ or Java truly OO?  Because they have
primatives?  Your argument that HN really does violate OO abstraction
should at least be qualified, IMO.  ...especially if the languages that
are truly OO are only one or two esoteric languages when C++ and Java
are certainly considered predominate amid the "mainstream" OO languages.

Also, is your "truly OO" only because it is a typeless language or that
the types are dynamic, which seems a bit like a completely separate
argument along the lines of "What are truly OO languages?"  For that
answer to even begin, I'd think that at least a definition of what is
"truly OO" would be required.

So, it is at least extremely premature to say that HN really violates
abstraction without the preceding definitions you state that are
required (enough details).

Take Care.

Rob!