Arguments against Hungarian Notation

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue May 7 15:00:02 2002

David Mandala wrote:

> Rob Wehrli had some good points. From a personal point of view I have

Thanks for the mention.

[snip]

> Some folks like it some hate it. I prefer using my form of HN for any

This is my point, too.  One does not have to like it to respect the
value that it brings to others...but one does disrespect "others" if one
does say that they use it for no good reason or simply because they are
"followers" and incapable of thinking for themselves on the issue.

> non-trivial programming project. If the language supports typed

I like this construct.  The entire idea of "non-trivial" fully
represents my point that any code worth doing, is worth doing "right"
and right is dependent on ones opinion of it.

> variables I track the type, I never trust the compiler or run time
> engine. To do so would be foolish or silly. But then again I still

Agreed!  Never "trust" the code to be right (or wrong) but KNOW that the
code is right.

> perfer to use make files instead of an IDE. Generally I can't hang a
> mouse over a var to tell it's type my test editor has no idea what the
> text is beyond text.

Agreed!  Who wants to even grab the furry little buggah when typing?
..especially when using vi(m)  :)

> Cheers,
>
> Davidm

Take Care.