H8S linux - status?

woodsend plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Oct 31 17:39:00 2001

Hi.

I wonder how you're going with the port of linux to the H8S. I'm thinking of
doing the same thing myself, and there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.

I'm in the middle of designing a H8S2633 board that includes expanded memory
(extra 512K FLASH, 128K SRAM, 512K data FLASH). I like this processor for
its higher speed (25MHz), built in MAC unit (I have DSP tendencies), larger
RAM (16K) and larger FLASH (256K) over the H8S2148. It also provides chip
select signals for properly expanding the address bus. [Naturally all this
comes at a price ($$).] I would like to see this board running Linux and a
scripting language such as ruby or python.

I have designed (and programmed - from scratch 10,000 lines of source ->
application size 72K) hardware based on the H8S2148 (and other H8S family
members).

I have used and programmed Linux for some time (5 or 6 years?) as well as
configuring and deploying ucLinux, eCos, and BlueCat Linux on a number of
embedded micro platforms.

I wonder what approach you're planning on this work? And what kernel
version? Also I wonder what resources are available on your target board?

I tried going to your web site (http://www.azpower.com/H8_uClinux/) but the
URL failed.

cheers
Jonathan Pratt