Net devices

Brad Bonkoski plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon May 28 21:26:16 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E2F9.762F0160

Hello All...

I am writing a network device driver for a physical Ethernet device.  There
may be more then one device present, and the same driver should service all
devices present.  Basically the question is this:  when each device is
configured, the driver assigns values to the 'device' data structure.  (i.e.
dev->dev_addr, dev->hard_start_xmit etc...)  Currently when each device is
initialized, I assign the values and then print out the address of the
device data struct, i.e. 'print &dev'.  For each device this is the same
value: 0xc018f38.  Now I think there is a problem with this because if this
were true, it would lead me to believe that the values stored in that are
the values of the Nth device configured such that the previous configuration
information is over-written.  Is this accurate?  The device struct is
currently being allocated through the call: init_etherdev(NULL,0);
Any help, insight, or pointers to some helpful docs would be appreciated.
thanks,
-Brad

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E2F9.762F0160

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Net devices</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hello All...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am writing a network device driver for a physical =
Ethernet device.&nbsp; There may be more then one device present, and =
the same driver should service all devices present.&nbsp; Basically the =
question is this:&nbsp; when each device is configured, the driver =
assigns values to the 'device' data structure.&nbsp; (i.e. =
dev-&gt;dev_addr, dev-&gt;hard_start_xmit etc...)&nbsp; Currently when =
each device is initialized, I assign the values and then print out the =
address of the device data struct, i.e. 'print &amp;dev'.&nbsp; For =
each device this is the same value: 0xc018f38.&nbsp; Now I think there =
is a problem with this because if this were true, it would lead me to =
believe that the values stored in that are the values of the Nth device =
configured such that the previous configuration information is =
over-written.&nbsp; Is this accurate?&nbsp; The device struct is =
currently being allocated through the call: =
init_etherdev(NULL,0);</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Any help, insight, or pointers to some helpful docs =
would be appreciated.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>thanks,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Brad</FONT>
</P>