my $DEBUG if exists...

der.hans plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat May 12 18:48:01 2001

Am 13. May, 2001 schwäzte Nick Estes so:

> hmmm...  I just threw your code up there through perl, and I can't seem to
> reproduce the problem...  What version of perl are you using, and what
> sort of stuff is stored in %fxDEBUG?

bash-2.05$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 0) configuration:

%fxDEBUG is assigned keys that match the names of the program's functions.
The value for the key is a number matching the DEBUG level that should be
set locally for the function, if there has been an assignment for that
function.

I did get it to work as I want using local(), but most everything says one
should use my() instead of local(). I'm looking for temporary values, not
private values, so the titles make me think I should be using local() :).

"A `local' just gives temporary values to global (meaning package)
variables." That sounds like what I want, but I want to know which is better
and why.

Also I want to know why the my() isn't working. It was working last week
when I was working on the program. No promises that I didn't change anything
in the meantime :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans