Organizing Development

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:25:47 -0500

I would like to organize the way I produce code.
I am not interested in project management.
I have had a chance to used cscope for c
programs but that does not help me if I want
to write perl code.  I would like to know
if there is a way of organizing the way
the code is written.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Demland [mailto:ddemland@cadtel.com]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 1:02 PM
To: plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Organizing Development

What you talk about here is a very wide subject. Are you looking for ways to
improve the way you produce software or are you looking for a way to manage
the work you are doing?

If you are looking for a way to manage the way you produce software there
are many tools out there that can help. A "Microsoft Project" type tool can
be used to help organize the way all your tasks get completed. This type of
tool can be used on a personal level as well as a project level for a
manager. Do not over look using these type of tools on a personal level.

If your goal is to improve the software you produce then go get a book like
"Introduction to the Personal Software Process" by Watts Humphrey. This book
shows how you can implement a CMM structure on your personal level. There
are other books out to help this way as well. There is "Code Complete" and
"Writing Solid Code" to name a few.

The last way to handle this is to talk to others who have "been there, done
that". This is where groups like SPIN come in. There is a local chapter here
in Phoenix where you can meet others who can help you.

If you want to organize a project, first decide what you want to improve
first then set out to improve that area first. It is good not to try to
change everything at once.

David Demland
Qa / Testing Manager
CADTEL Systems, Inc.