Is this list alive

Ken Bowley ken@sqs-ff.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:56:49 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, der.hans wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Ken Bowley wrote:
>
> > Dumb question, but I figure I might as well ask.  Is there any limit to the
> > type of developement related questions that should be asked here?  Or is
> > everything from shell scripting to assembly open for discussion here?
>
> Not a dumb question. It's relevant, except we want to keep it open. As far
> as I'm concerned everything's open. The semi-automatic web project is
> going to be perl or shell scripting and none of it should be very
> difficult. Asking for help building a spam-bot, however, probably won't go
> over well ;-).

Dang... so I guess I can't discuss work on the project to harvest email
addresses from the PLUG archives and upload the list to various
newsgroups. ;-)

> > Does that mean that we get to privately flame every person that writes
> > a "this is just a test, please ignore" message to this list?
>
> That's always an option, just remember to to flame anyone vastly larger
> than you :).

Hmmm.. maybe I should work on that annonymous flame program that makes the
header appear to come from various government officials....

> > I've got some more coding to do on a full screen editor for MBSE. (an
> > old style BBS system for Linux)  The author doesn't know much about
> > coding editors, and neither do I, but I need something to write
> > messages with besides a simple line editor.  :)
>
> The only help I an provide there is to suggest you look at the source for
> one of the vi clones. I believe I've heard that elvis is pretty
> minimalistic (not based on older, fat elvis :). Another one would be the
> nano project, which is building a pico clone.

What I'm working towards is something that works similar to pico, so maybe
I'll take a look at the nano project and see what I can find out.  The
main things i need to work on is getting the proper key bindings (works
great locally, or telneting in from a Linux machine, but dialup and telnet
from Win9x doesn't work), and I need to stick in some type of word wrap
feature.

> If you have absolutely nothing  to do for the rest of the year, you can
> start browsing the emacs source...

Unfortunately I was planning on checking out this thing called "life" that
people keep telling me I should get. ;-)`