Newbie C++ programmer again...

Eric Samson airickjay@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:34:55 MST

Ok, I looked up some reference on the syntax you used, and I am not sure I
understand it..  From what I gathered, (cin >> foo) is actually a test to
see if the input is of the type declared and it returns a NULL if not and a
non-NULL is legal?

----Original Message Follows----
From: Robert Ambrose <rna@testpt.com>
To: plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Newbie C++ programmer again...
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:33:02 -0700 (MST)

The short answer is the state in the ios parent class has to be reset to
good (cleared).  The long answer reauires to much typing ;-), and I've
spent to much time on this already (anthough I did learn some usefull
things).  If you really want to know, I'm always happy to talk it over a
beer.

Here's a working program:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <limits.h>

int main ()
{
	for(;;)
	{
		double dollars;	// Maybe I'll win the lotto

		cout << "Enter dollars:";

		if(cin >> dollars)
		{
			double pounds;

			pounds = dollars / 1.49;
			cout << "is " << pounds << " pounds" << endl;
			break;
		}
		else
		{
			cin.clear();
			cin.ignore(INT_MAX, '\n');
			cout << "Not a valid dollar ammount, try again" << endl;
		}
	}

	return 0;
}