PLUG Virtual Meeting on July 8th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Wed Jul 7 14:52:02 MST 2021

  PLUG Meeting for July 8^th

*Attend the meeting by going to:
https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/b/plu-yuk-7xx at 7pm MST*

This month:
****We'll have 2 persentations for this month:
"*MySQL 8.0 Indexes, Histograms, and Other Ways to Speed Up Your
Queries*" and "*My Presentation Creation Stack with AsciiDoc*"
** *******
******Dave Stokes: MySQL 8.0 Indexes, Histograms, and Other Ways to
Speed Up Your Queries*

*Description*:
Improving the performance of database queries is often seen as a Harry
Potter-ish dark art. In reality it is simple engineering and revolves
around providing the query optimizer the best information about your
data! And how do you do that? Well, you can start with properly planned
indexes and histograms. We will also venture into some other areas that
will help you speed up your queries.

*About Dave*:
Dave Stokes is a MySQL Community Manager for Oracle and the author of
'MySQL & JSON - A Practical Programming Guide'.

*der.hans: My Presentation Creation Stack with AsciiDoc*

*Description*:
Creating information rich presentations in AsciiDoc is easy.
AsciiDoc was created as a markup for making DocBook books.
Since it is plain text, AsciiDoc lends itself to writing, editing and
using revision control.

The presentation introduces AsciiDoc and covers both advantages and
disadvantages of using it for presentations.
I will also cover some of the presentation tools I've used previously.
Then I'll illuminate why I now prefer AsciiDoc and some suggestions when
using it for presentations.

*About der.hans*:
der.hans is a technologist, Free Software advocate, parent and spouse.

Hans is chairman of the Phoenix Linux User Group (PLUG), chair for SeaGL
Finance committee, founder of SeaGL Career Expo, BoF organizer for the
Southern California Linux Expo (SCaLE) and founder of the Free Software
Stammtisch. He presents regularly at large community-led conferences
(SeaGL, SCaLE, LCA, FOSSASIA, Tübix, CLT, LFNW, OLF, SELF, GeekBeacon
Fest) and many local groups.

Currently a Customer Data Engineer at Object Rocket. Public statements
are not representative of $dayjob.

Fediverse/Mastodon - https://floss.social/@FLOX_advocate

**
*Meeting Location is Virtual*:
*https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/b/plu-yuk-7xx* second Thursday of
the month at 7pm MST

For more information see the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html>

Contact PLUG:
Email: https://phxlinux.org/index.php/email-lists.html
<https://phxlinux.org/index.php/email-lists.html>