PLUG Virtual Meeting on Jan 14th - A conversation with Bradley Kuhn about the Software Freedom Conservancy and (ab)Using DNS

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Tue Jan 12 15:11:27 MST 2021

  PLUG Meeting for Jan 14^th

*Attend by going to: https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/b/plu-yuk-7xx*

This month:
We've got a couple of presentations for you to enjoy from the comfort of
your own home.
"*A conversation with Bradley Kuhn about the Software Freedom
Conservancy*" and "*(ab)Using DNS*"

** *******
****Bradley Kuhn: A conversation with Bradley Kuhn about the Software
Freedom Conservancy*

*Description*:
We're going to start the new year off with an interview. Bradley and our
host will chat about the Software Freedom Conservancy, Free Software and
licensing and his history in the Free Software movement.

*Biography*:
Bradley M. Kuhn is the Policy Fellow and Hacker-in-Residence at Software
Freedom Conservancy and editor-in-chief of copyleft.org. Kuhn began his
work in the software freedom movement as a volunteer in 1992, when he
became an early adopter of Linux-based systems, and began contributing
to various Free Software projects, including Perl. He worked during the
1990s as a system administrator and software developer for various
companies, and taught AP Computer Science at Walnut Hills High School in
Cincinnati. Kuhn's non-profit career began in 2000, when he was hired by
the FSF. As FSF's Executive Director from 2001–2005, Kuhn led FSF's GPL
enforcement, launched its Associate Member program, and invented the
Affero GPL. Kuhn was appointed President of Software Freedom Conservancy
in April 2006, was Conservancy's primary volunteer from 2006–2010, and
has been a full-time staffer since early 2011. Kuhn holds a summa cum
laude B.S. in Computer Science from Loyola University in Maryland, and
an M.S. in Computer Science from the University of Cincinnati. Kuhn's
Master's thesis discussed methods for dynamic interoperability of Free
Software programming languages. Kuhn received the O'Reilly Open Source
Award in 2012, in recognition for his lifelong policy work on copyleft
licensing. Kuhn has a blog and co-hosts the audcast, Free as in Freedom.

*Donald Mac McCarthy: (ab)Using DNS*

*Description*:
Let's take a look at DNS from a new perspective. In this presentation we
will discuss using DNS for cost savings and speed increases in datastore
operations. We will also take advantage of DNS's unique architecture and
capabilities to improve redundancy and increase distribution for near
zero cost. Finally, I will show how to push security farther toward the
entry into the technology stack and make our applications a part of our
security posture.

*Attend the meeting by visiting
https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/b/plu-yuk-7xx at 7pm MST*

*Meeting Location is Virtual*:
*https://lufthans.bigbluemeeting.com/b/plu-yuk-7xx*

For more information see the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html>

Contact PLUG:
Email: https://phxlinux.org/index.php/email-lists.html
IRC: https://phxlinux.org/index.php/chat.html