PLUG's Security Meeting, Thurs Feb 20th - Firewall Fundamentals and Network Segmentation with pfSense

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Tue Feb 18 14:48:21 MST 2020

  *PLUG's *Security Meeting

Meets on the*3rd Thursday of every month*, starting at 7pm.
For more information see:
https://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/20-plug-security.html

*Donald ‘Mac’ McCarthy: Firewall Fundamentals and Network Segmentation
with pfSense*

*Description*:
This presentation will cover two fundamental steps in properly securing
networks.

Firewalls are one of the most basic and universal network and security
controls in a security engineer’s tool bag. We will cover some basic
setup and rule creation with pfSense.

Network segmentation is critical for maximizing the effectiveness of
security controls. We will discuss some strategies for segmenting
networks, practical segmentation, segmentation challenges, and how to
best deploy network controls within network segments.

*About Mac*:
Mac is a 17 year veteran of the IT industry. He has experience worked
for organization ranging in size from 10 to 200,000+ employees. Mac has
been involved in information security for the past 9 years with
organizations in the academic, healthcare and financial, and public
sectors. Mac is a linux enthusiast with a passion for using large
compute clusters to help solve the most challenging problems in security
analytics. He has given presentations globally on business email
compromise and credentials stuffing. Mac currently serves as the
Director of Field Operations for Open Source Context.*
*

*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd West
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/20-plug-security.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff