PLUG Meeting Jan 12th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Sun Jan 8 21:18:02 MST 2017

  PLUG Meeting January 12th

We have two presentations on security this month, from Aaron Jones and
der.hans.
Aaron will review a variety of security incidents from 2016 while Hans
will cover security and privacy practices we can take and how a password
manager makes it easy.
*
Aaron Jones: 2016 - A Year End Review!
*
*Description*: We are going to look back at 2016 and some of the gnarly
security hacks that took place. We will discuss the FBI database leak,
Podesta emails, DNC, and a super massive bank hack foiled by bad spelling.

*Bio*: Aaron is a frequent flyer at PLUG who likes the command line. He
spends his time doing computer stuff and even went to school for
computers at some point in his life. He uses Linux, I3, and Bash.

*
der.hans: Online Privacy, Security and Password Management
*
*Description*: Take control of your online security and privacy.
Continuing breaches at high-profile sites prove that you can't rely on
cloud services to protect your accounts.

This updated presentation is the basis my January 2017 Linux Journal
cover article.

Password managers such as KeePassX make it easy to use different, strong
passwords and usernames for each site. They also enable other good
security practices. Take charge of your personal online security.

Also covers practices that can effectively keep your online accounts
seperate from each other so that a security breach at one company doesn't
expose your other accounts. Avoid the domino effect.

*Bio*: der.hans is a Free Software, technology and entrepreneurial
veteran. He is a repeat author for the Linux Journal with his article
about online privacy
and security using a password manager as the cover article for the January
2017 issue.

He is chairman of the Phoenix Linux User Group (PLUG), BoF organizer for
the Southern California Linux Expo (SCaLE) and founder of the Free
Software Stammtisch.

He presents regularly at large community-led conferences (SCaLE, SeaGL,
LFNW) and many local groups.
The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

We will go for food to BJs at the Chandler Fashion Center Mall after the
meeting so we can chat with each other comfortably. Please feel free to
join us. Please come even if you aren't hungry, the food is not mandatory.

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff