PLUG Meeting Nov 10th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Thu Oct 27 10:41:49 MST 2016

  PLUG Meeting November 10th

****We have 2 presentations this month from Kaia Taylor and Aaron Jones.
****
*Kaia* *Taylor*: _What I've learned setting up a VM environment for pen
test practice_

*Description*:

     Goals of this talk
         Why I'd like lots of questions and comments
     Goals of pen testing
         Why everyone should be interested in pen testing
         Overview of security related jobs
         Overview of certifications
     Hosts
         What I looked at, pros, cons
         What I ignored, pros, cons
     VMs
         Different Unixes I tested
         Attempts to use DSL for DDOS simulation
     If I could do it again...
     What next

*Bio*:
Kaia has been working with Unix for about 25 years and is now focused on
Unix security patching. Kaia has taught evening Unix classes at South
Mountain Community College, and worked at three large companies plus a
few smaller ones as a day job. Kaia's certifications include a Masters
in Information Science, RHCE, Security+, CISSP. Currently working on GPEN.
*Aaron* *Jones*: _Managing Your Money - The Linux Way_

*Description*:
Do you want to learn how to manage your finances using Linux? This talk
will cover several command line tools you can use to keep track of your
finances as well as introduce a few companies that tout Linux support
for their financial products.

*Bio*:
Aaron is a frequent flyer at PLUG meetings. He regularly evangelizes the
command line interface, loves Linux, and likes FOS-Software. His
distributions of choice are Ubuntu and Arch and he uses the I3 WM.

The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

We will go for food to BJs at the Chandler Fashion Center Mall after the
meeting so we can chat with each other comfortably. Please feel free to
join us. Please come even if you aren't hungry, the food is not mandatory.

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff