Meeting: PLUG Thurs, March 10th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Wed Mar 9 21:29:57 MST 2016

We have a great meeting lined up this month.

This month's meeting we will focus on Process Improvement which will
include 4 presentations from Alan Dayley, Joseph Sinclair, and Bryan O'Neal.

Alan Dayley
An experience in Lean Development

The ideas of lean manufacturing have surprising application in the
production of software. We will review the principles of Lean Software
Development and then experience of taste of their use with often
surprising results.

The Essential Principles of Kanban

Kanban is not just putting stickies on a wall. Kanban is not a process
but is an improvement management technique for any process. Without the
principles, your stickies on the wall might not give you more than just
interesting decoration.

About Alan:
After more than 25 years as a software engineer, Alan discovered the
thrill of the human side of creative endeavors. He has spent the past
seven years helping people re-learn to enjoy working and creating. He
has helped many teams and companies embrace new ideas for interaction
that produce better results. He continues to cheer FOSS creators and
users from the sidelines.

Joseph Sinclair
Why everything you're doing probably doesn't matter

Everyone in the business world wants to improve the business results. As
software and software engineering become ever more critical across every
area of business, much time and effort is being focused on modern
software engineering process and software process improvement (both in
development and operations). The Theory of Constraints (ToC), however,
highlights the core cognitive gap which results in the majority of
software process improvement efforts failing to materially improve
results. In this very short introduction we'll cover a few basic
premises from ToC and one simple step you can take right now to help
capture material business results from your current process improvement
efforts.

About Joseph:
Joseph has been working with computers for substantially longer than
he'd care to admit, but the first computer he wrote software on had a
whopping 16K of RAM.
Joseph first used Unix in 1989, and Linux in 1995. He has spent the last
10 years focused on developing software systems supporting
Internet-scale solutions using a wide variety of distributed
technologies, including Hadoop, Mesos, Spark, Storm, Riak, HAProxy, LXC,
and Docker (among many others).
Joseph has also been a champion of software process improvement culture
since the late 1990's, and has led or supported several teams and
companies in transition to more effective software engineering processes.

Bryan O'Neal
Principles of Agile Development for beginners

Presentation will go over the philosophy of agile development and
provide a quick overview of scrum and kanban methodologies

About Bryan:
MySQL DBA, programmer, and general geek.
Currently working on improving the data systems for the worlds largest
authoritative DNS representing ~30% of the worlds domains and one of the
worlds largest certificate authority representing ~25% of the worlds PKI.

---

The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.

We go for food/discussion afterward the meeting to BJs at the nearby mall.

Meeting Location:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

See http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html for a map
and other info.

See you there,