Meeting: PLUG Games Night! 6/9

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Sun Jun 5 13:20:52 MST 2016

  GAMES NIGHT June 9th!

    We've got at 2 presentations for this month's meeting from Todd
    Millecam and Aaron Jones.

*Todd Millecam: Linux and Gaming Technology*

Linux has never been considered much of a gaming platform, but to those
who know how some of the tools work and how to make them work for you,
it can provide a stable and higher performance environment than any
proprietary OS.

I'll show you how to get Steam and Steam games working on (nearly) any
distro.

I'll cover the different console emulators and how to use them in a
Linux environment.

We'll discuss different GPU drivers and their advantages and
disadvantages to the open-source ecosystem. We'll cover a few graphics
libraries and what they do, and show you how to get most every game
working on a Linux desktop environment. You might even learn enough to
get started on writing your own game in Linux.

We'll go through all different types of gaming, from solitaire to
Starcraft, and how to get most all of them to work on Linux.

*Biography:*
Todd has worked in Linux DevOps for 9 years. He Specializes in high
performance and high availability systems

*Aaron Jones: REAL gaming on Linux
*
Who needs Proprietary Graphics Drivers, GLX, or GUI's? Not us! We are
going to play games the way they were meant to be played. In the
terminal. Are you ready to enjoy some hard core gaming in VIM? How about
collecting lamps and slaying monsters?

Still interested in running games that require a GUI or even worse...
Windows? That's fine. We will discuss Steam Streaming and how you can
create a gaming box for your home that you can access from your Linux
system when you feel the need to do so.

Infocom, Visicorp, and Jack Daniels. Three companies that make gaming on
Linux possible. Let's play!---
*
**Biography:*
Aaron spends the majority of my time on the computer using the terminal
and would rather use Linux when ever he can.

*Meeting Info:*
The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation. People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.

We go for food/discussion after the meeting, usually to BJs at the
nearby mall. There is talk of moving to a different location.
	Meeting Location:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural. It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways. Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

See http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html for a map
and other info.

See you there,