PLUG Meeting on Thurs Sept 10th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Fri Sep 4 15:42:41 MST 2015

We have two presentations for September: The fish shell and Git.

Topic: The fish shell
Speaker: I. Preston

Preston will give us an introduction to the fish shell
(http://fishshell.com/), "a smart and user-riendly command line shell
for OS X, Linux, and the rest of the family", why you’d want to use it
over bash or zsh, and some tips and tricks to get the most out of it.

Preston is a software engineer at a Chandler start-up. He's a frequent
presenter at http://desertpy.com, the founder of
http://www.meetup.com/Language-Roulette, and a connoisseur of
interesting and sometimes terrible programming languages.

Topic: Intro to Git
Speaker: Aaron Jones

This will be a basic introduction to Git discussing how to use Git to
handle version control, what version control is, and why we should use
version control. He will also explain how to use Git in combination with
Github.com and demonstrate how we can share files or contribute to
projects using Git.

Aaron is a web developer who enjoys using new technologies. He began
using Linux while still a kid and is pro- VIM, GIT, CMUS, and
NEWSBEUTER. His workflow is command line based and he hope's to help
others learn more about computing, linux ,and the tools out there to
make them more productive.

---

The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to chat for a
while, arrive a little early.

Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

See http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html for a map
and other info.

See you there,