[PLUG-announce]Suggestion we close plug-announce

plug-announce@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-announce@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:22:11 -0700

The last-minute cancellation of the West Side meeting did not
make it onto the plug-announce list.  Anyone relying on that
list will have wasted a trip to GCC.

The web page <http://plug.phoenix.az.us/mail-list.shtml>
currently says this:
  For announcements of upcoming meetings/events join the
  announcement list ....

If we offer a low-volume list for announcements, then all
the announcements should go there.  Or we should just
post a final announcement, saying if you want to know what's
going on, join plug-discuss and watch it for announcements.

I recommend we remove the plug-announce list.  Last thing
that was announced was the RMS speech in October.

I received e-mail (to "webmaster") a couple of weeks ago from a
new prospect, asking if the December 18th meeting was for real.
I told him that it was probably solid, and I suggested he join
the lists.  I also mentioned that I'd seen no cancellations in
my few months with PLUG, and that enough folks attended the
GCC meetings he probably was not at risk of being the only one.
Hopefully he joined plug-discuss, not just plug-announce, so he
wasn't left out in the cold tonight.

In my experience, a given community subscribes to a single list
and puts all their posts there.  Should we have multiple lists
or not?  I've just rarely seen it work, because people don't
naturally think about what lists they're posting to.

The plug-discuss list does get pretty chatty at times, but
Steve's message contained the word "meeting" which should be
enough of a trigger for someone's attention if they were
ignoring most of the chitchat.  One could set up a filter
to ignore all messages not containing "meeting", "today",
"tonight", "cancel", "cancelled", etc.

So, how about dropping that list?  It probably would be a
lot easier than making it reliable.

Meanwhile, I have just added yet another note to our
main page stressing that the Discussion list is where to be.

Vic

foodog wrote re:  No WestSide December meeting