[Plug-announce] New Meeting Location...

plug-announce-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-announce-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 31 May 2000 02:25:24 -0700

You are about to receive the June Newsletter.  In it will be detailed
our new second thursday meeting location.  The purpose of this email
is to send a simple message "DON'T PANIC!"

"Back in the old days..." PLUG didn't have a consistant meeting place
and arguments ensued monthly as to where to have a meeting.  Noone
could agree.  This was most annoying to me when I'd want to go to a
meeting, but the location wouldn't be decided until say, an hour
before the meeting and then I couldn't make it.  As a result, I
stepped forward and said "We will be having regular meetings at the BG
Club of Scottsdale.  You can choose to join us if you'd like, or not
if you don't."  This has shown itself to be very successful.

YOU MAY NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE LOCATION.  We all realize this.  Phoenix
is a big place.  It is physically impossible to find a single meeting
location that suits EVERYONE.  I know for certain that there will be
several regulars who will not be able to come to this meeting because
of it's location.  It's simply too far.  I'm sorry if you are one of
those people.

WHY was this location chosen?  Well, it gets us a projector.  We have
a consistant time and place EVERY month.  We have lots of room to
grow.  We have a T1 to the internet.  And it's run by 2 great guys who
happen to be PLUG members (Brian and Polt!  Thank you guys!!!!).

All that having been said, you may be fuming, spitting nails, saying
"What am I supposed to do?  I'm not going THERE!"  Well, there's
something real simple you can do... start your OWN meeting near you!
All we ask is that you don't make it on a night which would conflict
with the regular meeting.  We really need a west valley meeting.
Noone on the west valley has been willing to coordinate it though.  It
doesn't really take alot of work.  All you have to do is volunteer to
either ALWAYS show up at the same place every month, or make sure
someone else does.

So, the point of this email is, the meeting location is changing.
Realize that this may very well be a fairly subjective decision made
by those of us who prefer east-valley meetings.  Don't hold it against
us.  I will even happily take the brunt of the responsibility here and
say yes, I am biased towards the east valley.  Sorry.  I have always
said that the best service I can do for PLUG is simply to hold
meetings that I myself enjoy attending and hope that there's others
who will share my enjoyment.  Part of my enjoyment means having them
in the east valley.

(FYI, back in the day, someone did a plot of all the locations of PLUG
members, and they found that the dead center was actually someplace in
Tempe.  So you west valley people just need to get more people over
there. ;D)

Anyone willing to organize west valley meetings, please step forward!

Jiva DeVoe
Chairman, Phoenix Linux User's Group
--
Be free and open and breezy!  Enjoy!  Things won't get any better so
get used to it.