[Plug-announce] June Newsletter

plug-announce-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-announce-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:10:50 -0700

PLUG-INS

The Electronic Newsletter of the Phoenix Linux User Group

Volume 1
Issue 7
June, 2000

-------------------- PLUG is Moving ----------------------

The Thursday PLUG meeting for June will be held at the Sequoia Charter School,
located at 1460 Horne.  The PLUG website has been updated with a map of the area
and a map of the school campus so you can't get lost.  See ya there!

--------------------- Free Seminar -----------------------

TheLinuxStore.com, part of EBIZ Enterprises, and Viking Systems are hosting a free
Introduction to Linux Seminar.

 When:Friday, June 9, 1-3 pm
Where:The Buttes Resort, Tempe

Topics include:
   Linux demonstration
   Definition of terms
   History of Linux/Unix heritage
   The open source software development model
   Software licensing models
   Where Linux is being used
   FUD Revealed & Dispelled

Space is limited, so register today at http://www.TheLinuxStore.com

--------------------- Meeting Info
-----------------------

PLUG

 When:June 8, 2000
Where:Sequoia Charter School
 Time:7:00 p.m.
Topic:GPG & SSH

AZSAGE

 When:Tue 13 June
Where:IBM, 2929 N. Central Ave.
 Time:Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
Topic:IBM and Open Source and building a firewall with Linux 2.2.x.
          RSVP might be required, but they haven't moved on it thus far.

STAMMTISCH

 When:Tue 20 June
Where:Bandersnatch
 Time:7:00ish
Topic:As usual, no topic, just Linux conversations

ASULUG

 When:Wednesday, 21 June
Where:Probably Computing Commons Auditorium
 Time:6:00 p.m
Topic:Presentation will be a replay of either the PLUG or AZSAGE presentation.

-----------------------  Ceilings ------------------------

PLUG has come a long ways since it was founded way back when.

When I first got involved, PLUG was meeting at Shawn's house and maybe a
half-dozen people showed up.  Now we regularly have 60-75 people show up at
the Boys & Girls Club each month.  Impressive, by any standard!  I am sure
that a premanent location and the new format have a lot to do with the increase
in attendance, as does Jiva, who has guided PLUG to where it is today, and
Wes, who got us the space at the B&G Club.  The question that faces PLUG
now is "Where does PLUG want to go tomorrow?".

As you all know, Wes is in Texas (with all our best wishes).  He
made every attempt to insure that PLUG can still meet at the B&G Club,
if we want.  We are moving the Thursday meeting location meetings to
accommodate more members.  PLUG has simply outgrown the room at the B&G
Club. The ceiling is not space.  So what is this ceiling?

Bodies!  Plain and simple!  The ceiling is bodies, bodies willing to help
PLUG and Linux and the Open Source community in the Phoenix metro area.
Jiva has guided the Thurdsay meetings quite nicely, but it would be a
unfair to ask him to accept any additional responsibilities.  There are a
myriad of other things that PLUG can be doing, but no one has stepped up to
say "I will lead that project".

Want an example?  Remember hearing that we need someone who will maintain the
PLUG website?  If you want to know the answer, take the tip of your index
finger and place it against the tip of your thumb.  See the big zero formed by
this action?  That is the number of responses we got.  We know that Justin has
run out of time to maintain the website.  When no one steps up to co-ordinate
PLUG website maintenance, what do we do?  I had to give more of my time to update
the PLUG website with information about June's meeting.  Guess everyone was waiting
until one of the people who are keeping PLUG going to step up and do the webmaster job too.

Plain and simple - Jiva has told everyone that he has committed all of the
time to PLUG that he can.  I could do it, but it would put a strain on my time
too.  Hans?  Ken?  They have things that they are working on already.  Wes is
in Texas, so who does that leave?  I think that is a question that you should
be asking someone whose butt is sitting in your chair.

Who knows how many other things are out there that PLUG could be doing?  Who
knows how many other projects could be done to help lead the Phoenix computing
community into the future?  As of right now, we cannot even get a body to
coordinate our own website.  Guess we will never know where PLUG will be
going until somebody steps up and says "I will lead that project".

------------------
 Calendar of Events
 ------------------

June, 2000

08 PLUG Meeting
09 TheLinuxStore/EBIZ Linux Seminar
13 AZSAGE Meeting
20 Linux Stammtisch
21 ASULUG Meeting

July, 2000

11 AZSAGE: Bringing NT and UNIX Together.
13 PLUG Meeting
18 Linux Stammtisch
19 ASULUG Meeting

The Addresses