Subject: Re: Running Win10 after end of life

From: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2025 07:55:27 -0700

On 2025-05-10 20:53, Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss wrote:

Thanks Eric!!

My first M$ product was DOS 3.1.  As I recall, and it has been a few 
years, 2.11 was still out there.  That was around 1986....

I got to see a lot since my commodore 64 days...

Still do not understand how an Apple is less vulnerable when not being 
upgraded.  I know most attacks are om M$ and the Web.... However....

> Keith,
> 
> There is the realization in the apple community that everyone will, at 
> some point, be forced to upgrade. There isn’t a lot of noise simply 
> because it is already a known fact (and apple doesn’t charge for OS 
> upgrades). MS got into a lot of trouble and started losing gobs of 
> money when they tried to insist that everyone pay for OS upgrades on 
> every upgrade. Honestly, if it were up to me, I would have the dev 
> teams for both apple and MS working on solving all the old bugs that 
> never seem to go away, regardless of major version. There are some bugs 
> in both OS environments that go back to very early days of each (in the 
> case of windows, a few such bugs go back as far as the msDos based 
> systems using win 3.1).
> 
> Oh, and as for MS demanding upgrades, they are part of the same 
> consortium that brought you the extensible firmware interface and are 
> also involved heavily in the trusted platform module project (which is 
> why win11 might not install on machines older than some pre-described 
> date). Also, MS does sell their OS in the retail markets for those who 
> custom build their own machines. However, their biggest money maker 
> happens to be the licensing scheme they use (and volume licenses can 
> cost as much as $2,000 a unit yearly for corporate environments). That 
> also applies to government contracts (ever been to the SSA or even the 
> state dept of economic security? Virtually every desktop is a windows 
> machine with some kind of back end server setup for in house storage, 
> security, database and other things.
> 
> Anyway, that’s my take on the whole apple vs. MS vs Linux contest that 
> has been going on since the early 2000’s.
> 
> -Eric
> From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Historical References 
> Dept.
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------
> PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
> https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss