Subject: Re: Scanner Recommendations

From: Arun Khan via PLUG-discuss <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2025 10:48:10 -0700

On Tue, May 6, 2025 at 11:48 PM AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> All,
> I've switched my "daily driver" computer to Linux (Kubuntu 24.04) and
> have been able to get almost everything working since my transition from
> Win 10 a few weeks ago. However, I cannot get my old Plustek scanner to
> work at all. Since it's so old, I'm just going to get a new one.
>
> I'm looking for a simple single page USB scanner (just like my old
> Plustek). What brand/model can someone recommend that they have found to
> work well under Linux? Also, what scanning utility is recommended? I'm
> looking for a GUI application. I don't scan a lot of documents, but
> occasionally (like now) I'm given some hard copies of important documents
> and I have to scan them into PDF format.
>

Years ago I had an Epson flatbed scanner (USB) that had the drivers in the
mainline Linux kernel.  I think it was the V300 series (no longer
available).
My needs were very simple - scan documents and receipts to PDF.
Today, I am using my cell phone's camera to do the same.

The V19 in the current line looks similar to what I had.  You may want to
try it out.  Epson does provide Linux drivers for it.
https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V19-Photo/s/SPT_B11B231201?review-filter=Linux

Der Hans suggestion (Brother) is also a good option.

Let us know what works out for you.

--
Arun Khan
---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: [email-masked]
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
https://lists.phxlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss