I thought using suddenly was the same as becoming root

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 7:19 PM <techlists@phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
Mike,

The world is a hostile place.  The more precautions you take the better.
  I cover the camera on my cellular phone while not in use.  I cover the
camera that is built into my laptop while it is not in use.  I think
on-line banking is dangerous.  At some point I want to turn off WIFI and
go to wired only on my local net.

We lock our cars and houses for a reason.

I do not know as much security as I'd like, however it might be
necessary at some point to to become more cyber.

About 24 years ago the members of the Tucson Free Unix Group (TFUG)
helped me build a server that I ran out of my home.  We left the email
relay open and I got exploited.  About 10 years ago I became root and I
accidentally overwrote my home directory.  yikes... both were painful.
The first example is a reason we must be more aware of what we are
doing. The 2nd is an example why we should use sudo as much as we can
instead of becoming root.

Keith