I didn't say that you were trolling, I said it felt like you were trolling. There's a small but non-insignificant difference there.

Also, I'm not one to care for how credentialed someone may be -- so called professionals are wrong all the time. Nobody is perfect.

So let me expand on what I said earlier with a bit less sarcasm:

There are many different ways that something might end up executing on your computer that you didn't intend, especially with how advanced browsers are today. While most/all browsers today employ sandboxes, there have been and will be vulnerabilities to break out of said sandbox resulting in the ability to execute arbitrary code on your machine.

There have also been several supply-chain exploits within the last few years with npm and other package managers that are typically used by developers. One in particular targeted users in Russia and deleted files from their machines. I forget the details, but there was also something that happened with the acroread package in the Arch AUR a few years ago where a malicious actor took over the orphaned package and put something malicious in the PKGBUILD.

In all of those cases, while your data may have been affected, you could be certain that unless you typed in your password or that some other privilege escalation bug was employed, your system is safe, because the exploits would have been running with the context of your user. If you had passwordless escalation to root, however, then it's possible that said exploit did something to your system itself rather than just your home directory.

You could say that your data is more important than the system itself, and therefore it doesn't matter, and that's true for the data itself, but there's not really a way to secure your data without a secure system. So, to secure your data, you need to have a secure system, which is contrary to passwordless privilege escapation.

Now, the opinion above is passwordless sudo in general for running arbitrary commands. I agree that there are some commands you can give users access to that are otherwise benign yet need root permission to run. However, if an application is keeping up with the times, there are other ways to handle privilege escalation for just the things needed rather than running the entire application as root.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024, at 6:43 PM, Rusty Carruth wrote:
(Deep breath.  Calm...)

I can't figure out how to respond rationally to the below, so all I'm
going to say is - before you call troll,  you might want to research the
author, and read a bit more carefully what they wrote.  I don't believe
I recommended any of the crazy things you suggest.  And I certainly
didn't intend to imply any of that.

On the other hand, it may not have  been clear, so I'll just say "Sorry
that what I wrote wasn't clear, but english isn't my first language.
Unfortunately its the only one I know".

And on that note, I'll shut up.