Looking at those tests  it seems the 17% seems to be in memory speed not CPU speed. The biggest difference was 13 seconds for a winter compression. I would get 2 16gb sticks instead of 2 8gb sticks then, if you don't want the single hit. My point is if you use 8gb sticks and fill the slots to 32gb and decide you need more you wasted money on the 8gb sticks. I personally will put 32gb sticks in my machine when I upgrade.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 9:35 AM Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
You can do that but you will take a speed hit.  Computers these days will read the RAM in pairs for a speed increase.  The testing in the article below saw a 17.7% speed increase by using dual channel memory on some loads.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

Brian Cluff

On 7/19/20 9:24 AM, Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss wrote:
My only suggestion on this machine is to use a 16gb stick, just so if you ever decide you need more memory you won't have to replace the smaller sticks. With 16gb sticks you can have 64gb total. If you ever think you might like to have 128gb of memory the you could get a 32gb memory stick.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 9:29 AM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
Just an idea and ballpark cost.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 6:11 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
yeah? I was planning on doing the enclosure thing powered separately.
As for whether my USBs are 1 or 2 lshw|grep us seems to indicate I
only have USB2. But you know what they say.... play with what you
have!
        *-usb:0
           *-usbhost
                bus info: usb@1
                logical name: usb1
                capabilities: usb-2.00
              *-usb
                   bus info: usb@1:1
                   capabilities: usb-2.00
        *-usb:1
           *-usbhost
                bus info: usb@2
                logical name: usb2
                capabilities: usb-2.00
              *-usb
                   bus info: usb@2:1
                   capabilities: usb-2.00
                 *-usb:0
                      bus info: usb@2:1.4
                      capabilities: bluetooth usb-2.00
                      configuration: driver=btusb speed=12Mbit/s
                 *-usb:1
                      bus info: usb@2:1.7
                      capabilities: usb-2.00
                    *-usb:0
                         bus info: usb@2:1.7.2
                         capabilities: usb-1.10
                         configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA
speed=2Mbit/s
                    *-usb:1
                         bus info: usb@2:1.7.3
                         capabilities: usb-2.00
                         configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=98mA
speed=2Mbit/s
                    *-usb:2
                         bus info: usb@2:1.7.4
                         capabilities: usb-2.00 scsi emulated scsi-host
                         configuration: driver=usb-storage
maxpower=100mA speed=480Mbit/s

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 4:21 AM Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss