Thank you. At the moment everything is good:
bmike1@MikesBeast:~$ sensors
radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +59.0°C

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +37.2°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +72.0°C, hyst = +70.0°C)

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:27 PM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
Michael,
  My bad. It is lm-sensors. You have to run a sensors-detect (as root) first. Then you can use sensors.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/53762/how-to-use-lm-sensors

Mac

Michael wrote on 11/1/19 4:24 PM:
where is lmsensors. my websearch says it is lm-sensors and at says lm-sensors is the most recent version but neither lmsensors nor lm-sensors runs.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:04 PM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the tip! No fixing that:( Replace computer.
You know.... it has been a while since a reboot.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 7:01 PM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
Well,
  lmsensors will allow you too look at the temp of your CPU. If you are idling and the temp is say 30 degrees normally, and all the sudden you see the temp spike to 70 and a reboot happens, check your heatsink. If the proc is really 70c, you should not be able to get close to your heatsink without feeling heat. If you have an IR thermometer, point that at you heatsink and take a temp reading. If it is above ~50, you may have a real heat issue. If it is not, you may have a sensor on the board or cpu that went bad as reporting a bad temp causing a reboot/shutdown because of thermal emergency.

Mac

Michael wrote on 11/1/19 3:15 PM:
Interesting. So how do I check the sensor? How do I fix it?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 12:27 AM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
It is starting to sound like a thermal issue. And possibly not an actual thermal issue, but a sensor issue.

Mac

Michael wrote on 10/25/19 7:24 PM:
No, I didn't. Oh well....

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 7:25 PM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
Mike, I am sorry that I din not get you a quick reply. I have been traveling a lot and was not frequently checking my plug folders. Did you figure this one out. I see there was some follow-up discussion with the rest of the list.

Best,
Mac

Michael wrote on 10/19/19 4:20 PM:
apparently some guy had a similar problem and this is what he said:
This command shows that my system came up with a new kernel. Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. 3.2.0-63 after reboot, 3.2.0-61 before
– Antonios Hadjigeorgalis May 26 '14 at 14:20
4
This led me to checking etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades I had set Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true"; I changed it back to the default setting of false.
– Antonios Hadjigeorgalis May 26 '14 at 15:31

found- https://askubuntu.com/questions/202335/ ... om-reboots
but there was no 'unattended upgrades' line in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
darn....... it just rebooted on its own. lovely:( well, it was fixed for fourteen days at least.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, thanks.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 11:26 PM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
CLI CDRW is not something that I have done - I can't remember the burner software I used. I told it the ISO and it burned and closed the disc.  I am travelling at the moment, so when I get home I will look.  As for the nomenclature of the device, in RHEL land it is usually labelled as /dev/cdrom{0-9}

Mac
Michael wrote on 10/5/19 6:54 PM:
also what is the rw listed as? /dev/sdc? if that is so I would issue the command 'sudo dd if=memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdc'.... right?

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 9:34 PM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
well.... it seems blowing it fixed it. thank goodness!  my cdrom is not working and I don't recall if it boots to the USBCDRW. I seem to remember that it was booting from a thumb drive last year (if I remember correctly).... or was it the USBCDRW.... hmmmmm..... hey ET... how do I write the image to  the usbcdrw?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:12 PM Donald Mac McCarthy <mac@oscontext.com> wrote:
I have had that happen before when a BIOS only partially supports boot from USB. Have you booted from USB on that system before?

Do you have a CD you could burn the iso to and try. That sounds so... old fashioned, but I have a couple of 10 yr old dell workstations that don't properly USB boot that I used before I discovered I could replace them with a couple of RasPis.

Mac

Michael wrote on 10/3/19 3:47 PM:
 Yepers.... just notes.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Stephen Partington <cryptworks@gmail.com> wrote:
No, just notes.  at least from the looks of them.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:05 AM Bob Elzer <bob.elzer@gmail.com> wrote:
Are those your passwords on the sticky notes?

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 4:53 PM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
what a mess my computer desk is

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 7:50 PM Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
20191002_193516_01.jpg

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM <kitepilot@kitepilot.com> wrote:
> what do you advise I do...
Call Geek Squad?   8)

Can you send me a picture of the screen you get?
Memetest is (or was) prtty straight forward.
Even *I* could use it!   ;-)
ET

:-)~MIKE~(-:

--
:-)~MIKE~(-:

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen

:-)~MIKE~(-:

:-)~MIKE~(-:

--