One of my favorite sites to start on is xda

On Sun, May 26, 2019, 12:21 PM Todd Cole <toddc@azloco.com> wrote:
interesting I have a Samsung S5 with Teamwin with SUroot and LinageOS ver 16 and openGapps aroma built from android 9 rooted for over three years
other than flashing to a new version rom too early I have not had any issues even with google apps but I only use a few but was able to buy several apps.

There have been several court cases regarding root and custom roms but last I have seen is 100% legal to modify your phone. Software might be another issue but sofar I have not heard of any legal cases.
the first time it took me three days so it is not a quick easy project but for me it was well worth the work to have root and a terminal. drive droid I use very often to install linux from my phone. and battery is better speed is better
and access to newer apps and able to remove unneeded apps. and I am happy with my old phone sd card and able to change batteries if needed.

not all phone can be rooted and or custom roms available. and do backup your image just in case. I have only had to flash it back to stock on a early rom to activate my phone but current version work fine
XDA LinageOS are the best places to start reading

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:49 AM Stephen Partington <cryptworks@gmail.com> wrote:
Magisk has worked very well for me. With only a couple of hiccups.

On Sun, May 26, 2019, 10:31 AM Michael Butash <michael@butash.net> wrote:
See Inline:

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 5:05 AM <kitepilot@kitepilot.com> wrote:
> Will not have root unless your phone is rooted.
I've been toying with this idea for a while...
What am I up against?
Hardware bootloader locking on all devices is the first problem.  Need to unlock that first, replace the loader, then os (as unlocking tends to wipe the flash).
Or you need an os exploit, which is pretty rare if using a modern os 5.1 and up.  Kingoroot and some others exploit the os to soft root on older devices, but just have to check compatibility.

What are the risks?
Depending on phone, you might lose some functionality rooting.  For example, Sony liked to kill their extended camera and media features.  They still offer, and always have open bootloder unlocking.
You also tend to lose access to google pay or any other *pay features, as they no longer trust your hardware device.
It also makes it easier for a 3rd party to access and do whatever to your phone, such as install even more covert malware on the linux side, modify android from underneath, back up your apps and all system data for forensics, etc.
Think of the stories of the border guards grabbing and dumping your phone (and doing who knows what else while in their possession and unlocked).

Can you hide it from your carrier?
I think this depends on the phone and os level, but Magisk does this supposedly.  I've not tried it myself, my past few phones I haven't rooted (see Risks).

Can you recover the phone phone if you botch it...
Depends largely on the phone.  Step 1 is always unlocking the bootloader and replacing it with twrp or cwm loaders.  Once that is there, you can 99% recover a device.  Screw that up, you may or may not have a brick.

Best thing you can do is look up your device you want to root on xda forums, and see if anyone else has already, and how.

ET

Stephen Partington writes:

> Install one from the play store.
>
> Will not have root unless your phone is rooted.
>
> On Sat, May 25, 2019, 6:09 PM David Lopez <lopezdavid123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know how to get a terminal window up on android phone.
>> what i'm thinking is to issue 'ls' commands etc.
>>
>> david
>>
>> --
>> David López
>> Software Engineer