https://linux.slashdot.org/story/18/11/02/1814249/red-hat-is-planning-to-deprecate-kde-on-rhel-by-2024

So, what happens when a "too big to fail" company buys red hat linux, first thing they do.

-mb

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 1:33 PM Michael Butash <michael@butash.net> wrote:
>> Any graphic gl rendering instantly nullifies screen lock on linux.
>> on nvidia, radeon, or intel improperly, so really don't even know
>> who to bug.
>
> What are the steps to reproducing this?  I found a completely different
> problem when I tried to manually lock the screen.  The root window went
> black, and white text saying something like "The screen unlocker is
> broken, do (thing that doesn't work) to unlock the screen."  How did
> this happen?  It worked months ago....

For me, using the desktop normally, then launching any sort of gl rendered game, minecraft or secondlife that I'll leave running for days, wait the 10 minutes, and observe the screen not locking.  It's not only these graphic games, but even some things like clicking on a menu on a window (ie. file), leaving it open, but not actually selecting things, tends to as well freeze and hang the lock screen process from kicking off.  Anything Java like menus or modal windows too tend to freeze screen lock from engaging.  Far too many things.  The screen never dims, goes to lock, it's just stuck in a perpetual state of active it seems.  This has happened since the beginning of time for me on about every hardware and gpu combination possible, so more than just a nvidia driver bug or something.

I agree with the rest of the comments, I can't expect much debugging with 6 displays, but would be nice if they'd listen to someone who actually did as I'm likely not the first or last to try.  Now that I'm down to 3 from the 6, I think it's a bit more common a setup, only with the 4k displays and hdmi connections cause more weirdness.

The issue stems from my samsung 4k tv's (not monitors) in use, that they do not power down ala a monitor would, so I have to shut them off at night when going to bed or leaving the office with a remote.  This causes them to hotplug remove from the graphics, leaving no displays attached, which causes kwin to poop on itself.   Originally in 4 and early 5, this would just crash kde, and later they added a null framebuffer back in to deal with this.  It still causes long-term destabilization when I do this more than a few times over days, and every time rearranges every window on my desktop to one display, presuming the first to reattach.

Cinnamon did this too, but within a day of bringing it up, a workaround was proposed and never had another issue with it, and is now fixed in new builds.  if only I could say the same for kde after some combination of these and other bugs over the years.

-mb

On 2018-10-27 21:03, Michael Butash wrote:
> I'd love some ideas from someone in better favour than some random
> person quipping about his 3-6 displays misbehaving every time they
> hotplug in and rearranges every frigging window open.

I think part of the problem is that not many people *have* that many
monitors.  As a result, the developers don't / can't make sure that a
6-monitor setup works properly.  I don't have enough room on my home
desk for more than 2, and my job probably wouldn't buy me another
monitor.  It's not necessary for me--2560x1440 is plenty of space.

> I really wish kde had their arse together, it's got the right
> things for good integration, but it swings and misses in so many
> ways.  Amarok is a of this, I always tried it, and found it
> simply difficult and buggy to use, so I had to use rhythmbox or
> banshee as an alt to it.  Same with kmail, krdc, and finally
> just the entire DE vs. having to reboot from destabilization
> of the os within 3-4 days.

I have not ever seen this happen with my systems, and I've been using
KDE since 1999.  I only restart KDE when there's a KDE or X version
upgrade.  Then again, I'm not using Ubuntu, but Gentoo, and Gentoo is
probably a lot more paranoid about bugs than Ubuntu is, and Ubuntu
doesn't really care about KDE.  Never used Amarok though.  (x11amp,
xmms, then audacious, because they can all use winamp skins.)  dolphin
(file manager) has always worked without problems, konsole (terminal
emulator) has always been fine, OpenGL and 3D have always worked fine.
Then again, I have a much more vanilla setup with only 1 monitor and 1
video card.

> Screen locking is yet another small but huge problem for me too on
> any/every platform, distro or de.  The DE seems to randomly decide
> when it actually wants to lock or not

This is also something I have never seen.  Then again, I don't have my
desktop set to lock after N minutes, because it's in my house and that
would be inconvenient.  It worked fine on my older laptop.

> Any graphic gl rendering instantly nullifies screen lock on linux.
> on nvidia, radeon, or intel improperly, so really don't even know
> who to bug.

What are the steps to reproducing this?  I found a completely different
problem when I tried to manually lock the screen.  The root window went
black, and white text saying something like "The screen unlocker is
broken, do (thing that doesn't work) to unlock the screen."  How did
this happen?  It worked months ago....

>> I'd love to hear from someone actually using kmail too.

I abandoned kmail when it stopped allowing you to store your local
files as mdir or mbox and wanted you to use their weird database-ish
thing that no other client uses.  mdir is a standard for a *reason*,
people.  It may not be sexy or new or wonderful, but every mail client
that's not a toy should be able to use it.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity