if anyone is interested this is the command I issued:
cd ~/Downloads/ && chmod +x hplip-3.18.9.run && ./hplip-3.18.9.run

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM Herminio Hernandez Jr. <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com> wrote:
Glad you got it working.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:11 PM, Michael <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I got it installed and it is detecting my scanner and is scanning documents! I couldn't open the file at first and I was about to post a plea for help until I thought of asking duckduckgo. that led me to what I needed to know. I'm so proud of myself!

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 11:02 PM Brian Cluff <brian@snaptek.com> wrote:
If you're running *ubuntu 18.04 it's got hplip version 3.17.10, so the default version should be good enough to get your printer working.

Brian Cluff

On 10/28/18 6:06 PM, Michael wrote:
That will be an easy thing to do. I didn't realize how easy it was going to be until I googled it and found: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/3.18.9/hplip-3.18.9.run/download?use_mirror=nchc
I'm away from home at the moment but will take care of it when I return home.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 1:38 PM Matt Graham <mhgraham@crow202.org> wrote:
On 2018-10-25 19:28, Michael wrote:
> It didn't work. Whether I selected USB or NEY I got the same response:
> error: No device selected/specified or that supports this
> functionality.
>   $ hp-setup -i 192.168.0.5 <- found in the printer settings
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.3)
[massive snip]

The manufacturer's website at
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/
says you need to have at least 3.17.9 of hplip to have everything
supported on an HP Envy Photo 7855.  The older version you have
installed apparently doesn't do scanning, but it can print.  So it's
time to upgrade your hplip.  There's got to be something more recent;
that's kind of an older version AFAICT and I don't have ebuilds for
anything older than 3.18.6 here.  Hey, at least you don't need the
proprietary hplip-plugin package!

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity