Linux is the engine, GNU is the toolbox

On Apr 29, 2017 4:23 PM, "Keith Smith" <techlists@phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

Interesting...  Do programmers burnout more than any other profession?

If there is a contributing factor it is the constant change that requires regular learning and adapting.

I've seen a lot of changes.  In 1983 I learned how to program using punch cards.  Then there was the single line editors.  I experienced the evolution of xBase - dBaseII, dBaseIII, dBaseIII+ on 8088 cpu's with no hard drive.  Later Clipper summer of 87 (that was the actual version name), FoxBASE+, all the FoxPro's - DOS, Windows, and Visual.  Then the web came along.  Learning Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP and all that goes with that.  In the early days of the web - (10 years ago) it was PHP right on the iron... not any more. It is open source apps and frameworks.

Always fighting the beast.....

In the late 80's I happened into a business that was using a Commodore 64 to do their accounting and inventory control.  At that time that was state of the art.

On 2017-04-29 13:47, Carruth, Rusty wrote:
Huh.  I thought the reason programmers (or whatever you want to call
them) get grey hairs and burn out was some combination of:

1 - they are hopelessly optimistic, and so GROSSLY underestimate EVERY
project's effort.  Managers like the short estimates and don't adjust
based upon reality.  When the deadline nears, the software person
works more and more hours to try to meet the deadline, which goes
whizzing past at a high rate of speed.  More hours/week and more
effort (which brings with it more mistakes and slower progress)...
until the project is finally done (ish) and the next cycle begins.

(Well, yes, I was a software developer for most of my professional
life, why do you ask? ;-)

2 - they tend to work much more than 40 hours per week.  (80, 90,
sometimes more)

3 - old age ;-)

Rusty