One more thought....buy your next printer at Best Buy and get the 2 year Geek Squad support plan. Then, as the 2 years is rolling around and there is an issue, get it repaired or replaced. You can also extend the warranty while the device is still in warranty.

My hp printers last about 5-8 years, so donating them after that service life is easy. ;)

Mark

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Matt Birkholz <matt@birchwood-abbey.net> wrote:
> From: Mark Phillips <mark@phillipsmarketing.biz>
> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:03:55 -0700
>
> When my printer has an issue I do the following -
>
> 1. Google a repair video [...]
>
> 2. Donate the printer [...]
>
> Good luck!

Thanks.  I took it apart (as much as intended for regular servicing)
and cleaned up the black toner (yes, with a vacuum!), gambled $50 on a
new black developer unit, and am getting clean prints again.  I hope I
have not jinxed it, boasting here (thumbing my nose at Chaos!) but I
hope for another 5 years.  Sorry: no video.

A good idea though -- the repair videos.  Thanks.

Throw away $400 every 2 years?  Not in this house.

Happy Procrastination Monday Morning, everyone!