" I tie the vhost and user together so there is an sftp path to upload content."

"How would you upload content if you have multiple vhosts and only one user?"

Depends on the architecture of the file structure.  By one user I assume only one user is managing the system  and needs access to all of the vhosts.
I version all my code using Git. Using a local development environment on my laptop push code changes to a Gitlab server then ssh on the prod box and do a git pull.  In my case I don't use sftp.

I develop in Drupal so I use Drush heavily which requires ssh access especially when using drushrc.alias files.  But that allows me to automate most of my migration and perform auto - updates from my Git repo.

Just a note regarding Ubuntu. It is a server centric install.  It is replacing/outpacing RHEL CentOS and Debian on forward facing sites at a rate of 500 per day.